Fall officially arrives next Tuesday, so that means the market is winding down for the 2014 season. We’ve got some great food truck lineups over the final four weeks and our produce vendors are introducing some fall produce like pumpkins, squash, apples and mums.
This week the market vendors again park on Robert Orr Plaza Drive only.
When: September 18, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Where: Robert Orr Plaza, Indianapolis
What: Produce Vendors and Food Trucks
Three picks of the week
Our honey vendor, Wildflower Ridge Honey, is only here only two more weeks this season. It’s not too early to buy honey or homemade soaps for Holiday gifts. Pattie Barrickman, who owns Wildflower Ridge with her husband Dave, says, “Both will keep. Stock up now!”
If the weather feels chilly, then try some chili. This week Caveman Truck is featuring their Barnyard Chili made with 100 percent grass-fed beef, Smoking Goose bacon and pasture raised chicken with organic tomatoes and organic sweet potato.
If you haven’t tried something from Taste of the Caribbean yet, you’re missing out. Our pick this week is the Jerk Chicken Nachos. Try it with all of the toppings including corn, black beans and avocados. Nachos not your thing? Try the jerk chicken as a salad, flatbread, wrap or a platter.
More picks: Pumpkins arrived last week. Van Antwerp Farm Market has small, medium and large pumpkins (including pink pumpkins) and Biltz Greenhouses also has pumpkins. Mums are available again from both Posey & Pumpkins and Flat Rock Farms.
- Biltz Greenhouses – Featuring varieties of apples, sweet corn, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and pumpkins.
- Oberweis Dairy – Offering samples of milk and other Oberweis products.
- Posey & Pumpkins – Tomatoes, squash, corn, peppers plus mums, asters, sunflowers and other seasonal plants.
- The Pork Shoppe – Frozen pork products including pork chops, pork burgers, three types of sausage, bacon and both loin and shoulder roasts.
- Red Barn Meats – Grass fed beef, grain fed beef, pork, goat and lamb, soup bones, knuckle bones, and beef variety meats. They also have a variety of pork as well as various lamb & goat items.
- Simple Taste Specialty Bakery – Featuring specialty, gluten-free breads including Paleo, banana, zucchini and pumpkin. Also check out owner Jenny Cleave’s weekly selection of desserts.
- Van Antwerp Farm Market – Tomatoes, green beans, eggplants, pumpkins, sweet corn and other produce.
- Wilson Farm – Watermelons, pears, sweet corn, greens, tomatoes and herbs.
- Wildflower Ridge Honey – They have a new batch of jalapeno infused honey. Also ask about gift baskets.
- Flat Rock Farms – Mums for sale.
Bryant Farm and Tulip Tree Creamery are not here this week. Both are scheduled to be here on Sept. 25.
Healthy/Featured selection noted below from operators. Click vendor name to find their menu online (if available).
- Caveman Truck – Barnyard Chili
- Tacos Without Borders – Taco Trio
- Spice Box – Channa
- Cutie Pies Pizza
- The Flying Cupcake
- Soul Sista On the Move – Baked Chicken
- Talkin Turkey
- Serendipity – Regular truck menu plus in support of Auto Meals, offering two healthy meal options of Chicken Parmesan and Crab Stuffed Tilapia. Learn more about Auto Meals on the Serendipity’s profile.
- Groovy Guys Fries – Spicy Asian Chicken Fries
- Big Ron’s Bistro – Grilled Fish Tacos
- Taste Of The Caribbean – Jerk Chicken Nachos or Salad
- Nicey Treat